Did you know Apple has developed the QR code scanner as an automatic feature to scan QR codes on iPhones? While the company has to oblige the specifications provided by the manufacturing market in China, the benefits of adding a 2D scanner are massive for consumers and businesses.
You may want to know how a QR code scanner will benefit you. In simple words, QR code scanner apps in iPhones allow you to open and save website URLs, add contacts, integrate apps, such as WhatsApp web, scan and track product information, and even connect internet networks.
You can do several things with the smartphone’s QR code reader if your iPhone is powered by the iOS 11 and above version.
Let’s find out how to use the QR code scanner app on the iPhone. Also, learn the usage of the QR Code in business and work.
QR codes scanner apps on the iPhone have made work easy and quick
QR Codes help people access online information, such as select coupons, reach the product page, save PDF, and follow a link. Our lifestyle and digital technology have made even small talks look like big ordeals. For example, punching in a URL in the address bar can seem like a big deal. But with QR code Scanners, you can bypass this, as they deliver an analog to digital glue.
It is easy to scan QR codes on iPhone as the procedure is consistent across all apple versions, unlike Android devices. You can scan QR Codes on all iOS powered devices – iPhones, iPads, iPods, Mac, and other mobile devices with a camera.
2D Codes have been in the market for the past 8 years, but the practice always died out because it was not convenient.
Scanning in iPhone is easier than typing
However, Apple now ensures that the QR code reader feature is added by default, where the user need not have to do anything other than open the camera app and point the camera at a QR Code.
The uses of QR Codes are:
- Receive/ provide a wealth of information in a few seconds
- Track product details, ad links, and shipment/cargo
- Defeat counterfeiting of products through AI-enabled QR Codes
- Retrieve and store URL links without writing them down
- Engage consumers by improving experience (link to particular product purchase)
- Connect consumer information for marketing (subscription, sign-up, etc.)
- Provide contact details (store location, business card, online brochure, product list, etc.)
- Direct consumers to special features (menu card, hotel amenities, discounts, promotional activities, event schedule, etc.)
- Impress the hiring manager with QR Codes resumes
- Place reservations and book tickets at discounted rates
- Share company guidelines and upgraded policies
You can generate custom QR codes at an online QR code generator.
How to scan QR code on iPhone?
The QR code scanner app is a built-in feature in the latest iOS devices. It is by default enabled when you turn your camera app on. If you want to check if your phone or iPad camera can scan QR Codes without a third-party QR code reader app, then complete the following steps:
1. Open your camera app, either by swiping left on the lock screen or clicking on the home icon
2. Switch on the rear camera
3. Point the camera at the QR Code, which you want to scan for 2 – 3 seconds
4. If you receive a pop-up notification that says a QR Code is detected, the QR code scanner is enabled on your device
5. You can click on the link to see the embedded content.
Note: Different QR Codes prompt different click actions. For instance, you will receive ‘Open Link’ for an embedded web address or ‘Save/Download File’ if it’s a vCard or PDF.
If your camera app Settings does not have a ‘QR code scanner’ feature, you may have to download a third-party QR code scanner app from the iOS app store.
How to scan QR code on iPhone – turning on the reader via camera settings
Sometimes the built-in app feature might be disabled on your phone for some unknown reason. Before you download a third-party app, you would want to check your phone settings to confirm. This wouldn’t take more than a few seconds.
- Turn on the camera app.
- Go to ‘Settings’
- Scroll down to ‘Scan QR Codes’ and turn it on
- Make sure the switch is green in color
Alternatively, you can click on the ‘Settings’ app on your home screen, scroll down to ‘Camera’, and follow the same process after that. You can always disable the feature anytime you want.
Alternative QR Code scanning options in iPhones
iOS also offers two alternative apps to scan QR codes on iPhone and iPad. These apps allow you to scan and save particular QR Codes that meet their specifications. They are described below.
Scanning QR Code with the Wallet App
With the Wallet App, you can scan and save flight tickets and event ticket QR codes. You have to turn on the Wallet App and select ‘Scan Code’. If the code can be saved, you will be asked to click on ‘+’ and select ‘Scan Code to Add a Pass’.
Scanning QR Code through Control Center
You can use the ‘Control Center’ instead of the ‘Camera’ app to scan codes. Here’s how you can do it:
- Click on ‘Settings’, select ‘Control Center’, and tap ‘Customize Controls’
- Click on the ‘+’ icon next to the ‘QR Code Reader’
- Now go back and tap on ‘QR Code Reader’ on ‘Control Center’ and scan the QR Code on the screen.
Here’s something good about the iOS feature: Scanning QR codes on iPhone wouldn’t take any action unless you want. Many schemers use QR Codes to tag unspeakable content. Therefore, to avoid any casualty, Apple offers a preview of the URL content, along with the WiFi network, contact name, and other information. You can tap to proceed to save the URL once you identify its validity.
You can generate your brand QR code online at QRCodeChimp. The online portal allows you to create customized QR Codes for PDFs, discounts and coupons, images, website URLs, audio and video data, texts, passwords, product details, contact cards, email addresses, and you name it.